Saturday, April 16, 2016

Oil and Cold Wax....


I really love working with soft pastels 
and will continue to, however
the past year I've also been discovering that 
creating with oil and cold wax 
is another medium that I want to explore more.
Deanna and I have shared several days doing just that.


I have to admit that I like the messy part of creativity. 
This medium includes mixing the oil paint with cold wax and galkyd, 
then finding a nice consistency for applying to a wood substrate.
Mixing colors is something that as a pastel artist, I don't have a lot of practice with. 
Soft pastels are a dry stick that I can choose colors and apply without the skill of mixing paint.
So, even though there are some challenges, 
I'm loving this new journey. 
Using a pallette knife rather than brushes is an expressive way to apply the paint.
There is some patience involved with waiting for paint to dry between layers.
That just gives me time to go back to my pastels while waiting to put the next layer on the
oil and cold wax paintings!


"Awakening"
8 x 10" oil and cold wax

"Grateful Days"
6 x 12" oil and cold wax

"Hopeful Dreams"
10 x 10" oil and cold wax
 "Awakening", "Grateful Days" and "Hopeful Dreams" 
are currently available at 
along with several of my pastel paintings.





You can also see some recent 
 small oil and cold wax paintings
 in my Solo Show at
 Dave Wilson Designer Goldsmith
They sold the night of the
but will still be on exhibit,
 along with 19 of my pastel paintings,
that are all available for purchase.
The show runs through April 29, 2016
downtown Salem at 
216 Commercial St. S.E.





















No comments:

Post a Comment