Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Time for Plein Air Painting....

It's exceptionally warm and dry for being April in the
Willamette Valley!
That is a sign that it's time to get out and break back into plein air painting, 
which means painting open air, or on location.


To me, this is the ultimate experience of bringing the essence of place to my paintings.
It has it's challenges, such as the quickly changing light, chance of weather changes,
 having all the right supplies along, to name a few.


Getting out to Schreiner's Iris Gardens
with friends Denise and Deanna, 
was a perfect trial run for the season.


Being a record breaking 84° day,
 finding a shady spot was priority for me,
 in choosing where I would focus for a painting.




Before getting started on my subject of blooming Lilacs,
Denise and I decided to let the shadows of the dappled light inspire us. 
We sketched and painted the dancing branches as the breeze blew just a bit.


After doing a very quick sketch of the Lilac in pen, I did a liquid acrylic
 underpainting on white Wallis paper.


I chose to work in two small sizes, 12 x 8" and a 6 x 4". 





"Lilacs in Bloom"
12 x 8" pastel
$195

Along with the many varieties of Iris,
the display gardens are full of many 
other blooming companion plants,
bordered by established trees and shrubs.


 There will be more opportunities to visit
during their bloom season
May 6 - May 31, 2016.


No comments:

Post a Comment